Are You Philmont’s 1 Millionth Camper?
The Philmont Staff Association’s Annual Trek is wildly popular (114 Trekkers participated in 2013) and in 2014, the PSA is inviting all members of the Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association and the Sea Base Alumni and Friends Association to join them in this enduring PSA tradition (28 years). This invitation is extended as part of the Exchange Program between the PSA, SAA and SBAFA which provides an opportunity for the members of the Associations to experience the High Adventure programs offered at the BSA’s premier High Adventures bases.
Philmont is projecting that the 1 millionth camper will arrive July 12, 2014. This projection is based upon assumptions, so when you arrive at Philmont July 14, 2014 for the Trek, you will have as good a claim as anyone to being the 1 millionth camper.
The 2014 Trek is July 14 to July 21 and the cost is $475. To be compliant with Philmont’s “9,000 foot rule”, you must spend the night of July 13 in the Philmont area. (Philmont will provide free tent accommodations.) Your more detailed schedule is as follows:
- Report to the Philmont Welcome Center at 8 a.m. on Monday, July 14. You will spend most of the day doing medical re-checks, checking out food and gear, trip planning, group photos, etc.
- Hit the trail on Tuesday, July 16 following customized itineraries available only to participants in the PSA Trek.
- Spend 6 days and 5 nights on the trail having glorious fun.
- Come off the trail Sunday, July 20, attend Philmont’s closing campfire and receive the Philmont Arrowhead Award.
- Depart Philmont on Monday, July 21.
Trek eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Be a member of the PSA, SAA, SBAFA or Trek-eligible family member,
- Be a member of the BSA,
- Presented a completed appropriate medical form,
- Be 14 years old (by date of arrival) OR completed 8th grade and be at least 13 years of age by date of participation,
- Be in good physical condition.
You are encouraged to bring your Trek-eligible family members. Trek-eligible family members are your spouse, child or step child, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, niece, nephew or in-law of the PSA, SAA or SBAFA member. All Trek-eligible family members must meet the requirements above.
Soon after you register, you will be contacted by the PSA Trek coordinators who will guide you through the process of finding a crew, planning itineraries, answer any questions you have, and help you find rides to and from the Denver and Albuquerque airports. By the time you arrive at Philmont, you will already be part of a crew and have experienced the fun of pre-Trek planning with your crew mates. You will not be left to flounder on your own.
On-line registration at www.philstaff.com. You can also register by sending $475 per person to Randy Saunders, PSA, 17 Deer Run Road, Cimarron, New Mexico 87714. If registering by mail, please include a piece of paper with your name, whether you are SAA or SBAFA, the names of Trek-eligible family members, mailing address, e-mail address (of each participant) and phone number.
The cancellation policy is as follows:
- Cancellation prior to the registration deadline of June 1, 2014 will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA, SAA or SBAFA event prior to the end of 2014 or can be contributed to the general fund of the cancelling participant’s association.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director AND Vice President of Service of the PSA can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.