Become a member of the Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association (SAA). Active membership is available to current and former staff members. Past advisors and any adult who wishes to maintain a relationship with the Northern Tier program may become an "Affiliate" member.
Past staff members: All past staff members have an existing alumni account. Instead of using the membership link above you should log-in and change your membershp level. See the "Alumni Portal" page for instructions.
What are the benefits of being a member of the Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association (SAA)?
- Receive Reflections newsletter.
- Biennial Reunions over Labor
- Reduced rates for equipment rental from Northern Tier (subject
to availability, crews are given priority).
- Opportunity to participate in programs
such as the SAA/Philmont Staff Association treks and Minnesota and New Mexico.
Can you explain the different membership options?
There are two membership types independent of membership level: Active and Affiliate. Active membership is for those who have served on staff at Northern Tier and Affiliate membership is for those adults who would like to maintain a relationship with the SAA and Northern Tier. Active members are entitled to vote and hold office.
- Annual dues are $10
- Sustaining dues are $25, this simply provides the SAA with more revenue
to accomplish our mission.
- Life membership dues are $150.
- Current Staff (Annual) dues are $5.
- Current Staff Life membership dues are $100.
- Active Members Active membership in the corporation is open to: (1) All persons who have served on the seasonal or permanent staff of any Northern Tier National High Adventure program, including the Charles L. Sommers National High Adventure Base (Ely, Minnesota), Donald Rogert Canoe Base (Atikokan, Ontario), Northern Expeditions (Bissett, Manitoba), Northern Wisconsin National Canoe Base, and Maine National High Adventure Base; (2) and all current and former members of the Northern Tier High Adventure Committee. Active members shall be entitled to vote and to hold office.
Active members must pay all dues established by the Board of Directors. Active members shall be entitled to vote and to hold office.
- Affiliate Members Affiliate membership in the corporation is open to all former adult crew advisors from any Northern Tier National High Adventure Program, and any adult (18 years of age or older) who wishes to maintain a significant interest in the mission and success of the Northern Tier National High Adventure Program.
Upon paying all dues established by the Board of Directors, affiliate members are granted all rights of members except the right to vote or to hold office.