The Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association (SAA) is a non-profit charitable Minnesota Corporation
The purpose of the corporation is to provide a continuing interest in
and support for the mission and programs of the Charles L. Sommers
National High Adventure Base and the Northern Tier National High
Adventure Program in keeping with the policies of the Boy Scouts of
The objectives of the corporation are:
- to preserve and promote wilderness camping, high adventure, and
training opportunities or other primary objectives of the Northern Tier
High Adventure Program that might be authorized by the Northern Tier
National High Adventure Committee;
- to bring relevant needs and suggested programs to the attention
of the Northern Tier National High Adventure Committee;
- to offer the time, talents and assets of the corporation’s
membership to the Charles L. Sommers National High Adventure Base and
the Northern Tier National High Adventure Programs, and to the local
councils of the Boy Scouts of America; and
- to spread the spirit of “the far northland”
has the SAA done for the Northern Tier programs?
- Construction and maintenance
projects including restoration of the historic Lodge building.
- Provides assistance with
- Published A Diamond in the North: A History of Scout Adventure
in the North Country by Gene Felton.
- Together with the Northern Tier Advisory
Committee, the SAA has awarded $204,000 in scholarships to seasonal staff
- Provide incentives for seasonal staff retention:
- Gift certificate to Northern
Tier trading post to buy equipment to do their jobs better to first-year
- Custom XY-brand paddle to second-year staff.
- Custom embroidered Kondos-brand
guide pack to third-year staff.
- Variety of artwork to fourth-year or
© Charles L. Sommers
Alumni Association, Inc., PO Box 428, Ely, Minnesota, 55731